Page
of 4

The Silence...

35 replies
Votes:
+2
DSA Member
Gentlemen!

I can't find people in our TS server 95% of the time, and while I've added our Discord, no one generally seems to be in the MWO (or PUBG) room(s). Should I just be messaging online members to see if they want to sync drop? Or should I add the Clan Crossfire channel?

I check in at our TS server before playing almost every time, and I really don't see ANYONE from anywhere other than Oceanic anymore- is it just bad timing?

Hope everyone is well!

DSA_Eon
Posted Aug 6, 18 · OP
MWO Lance Leader
Votes:
+59
MWO Lance Leader
DSA Member
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming

And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence
32604626440_2abd099b73_z.jpg
Posted Aug 8, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+2
DSA Member
Lmao how do I give this more than one like? (Grew up on Simon and Garfunkel!)
Posted Aug 8, 18 · OP
Votes:
+71
DSA Member
MWO is dying. The player "bucket" used to be split 2 ways. Some in quick play and some in group play. But Russ, in his nonfunctional wisdom (or lack of wisdom... take your pick), has split the bucket 4 ways adding Faction Warfare and Solaris. And at what cost? Those $$ could have been put into the core of the game instead, keeping old players and enticing new ones. Anyway, this lessons the number of total players in any one of the 4 areas and by doing so players are getting crap games because there are too few for the matchmaker to make a reasonable game, causing extreme frustration and eventually they stop logging in regularly. At the end of this post I will provide a link to Steam's ongoing analysis of their concurrent players in MWO. While not showing the actual number of players in MWO it does provide a guideline of player count ratios between two different time spans. If the number of Steam players doubles you can bet that the number of regularly logged in players has also doubled, give or take a few percentage points. If it is half of what it was then there are probably only half as many regular logged in players.

Steam's table goes back to December of 2015, It has never had as low a number of players as it does now. I thought it may have to do with hot summers up north and cold winters down south of the equator. But looking at statistics for May, June, and July for 2016 and 2017 disprove that theory.

Ongoing analysis of Steam's concurrent players in MWO
I've determined that both ELO and PSR are myths, weight class matching a fantasy, hit registration a dream, and unbalanced teams a goal. The Matchmaker algorithm is entirely a function of pure spite and malice. And if something actually works they will fix it until they break it.
Posted Aug 8, 18 · Last edited Aug 8, 18
Votes:
+2
DSA Member
Youch! Yes, your analysis is certainly supported by the data; hopefully the release of Mechwarrior 5 will cause SOME kind of resurgence, but it's starting to look like a dying game :/
Posted Aug 8, 18 · OP
MWO Lance Leader
Votes:
+59
MWO Lance Leader
DSA Member
I feel I've had my time. I enjoyed playing, but now its a different time, A Planetside II time. No one here likes PS2 like I do. Perhaps MW5 will change things. Nice to hear from you all. Perhaps I am not the only forum lurker!
Posted Aug 8, 18
List
Undo
Chairman General
Votes:
+272
Admins
MWO Commanding Officer
DSA Member
Chaos - https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

This list is more accurate as I believe the data includes both steam and non steam players, I believe each season is a month. You can see in the last 2 years a sharp decline in both players and new players. Season 23 was interesting with a large spike and then dropped off again. I think that may have been the launch, crash and burn of Solaris.

PGI have really screwed up so bad over all these years. They could have fixed bugs and improved the gameplay but all we got was underwhelming mech packs and features nobody wanted. I don't hate the game, it is what it is.. I'm sure I'll reinstall it soon. I've had some **** going on recently I haven't really been playing any games lately due to lack of free time but I hope when things settle down a bit for me I will join you all for some games whatever they may be. (p.s. I hear rust is pretty cool)
"The distinguishing characteristic of the lizard-brain is primarily the conservation of energy. Instead of pushing its stuff around all over the place, the lizard puts its stuff in one place and stays there. It only picks up and moves when it sees something useful and desirable, or when something distressing and undesirable shows up."

8naALRn.png
Posted Aug 9, 18
MWO Lance Leader
Votes:
+59
MWO Lance Leader
DSA Member
Still not having a fun time with life eh. I hope that everything comes right soon. Though on a brighter note, I'd like to give rust a go sometime in the future. I cave these days, weird.

Shame about Mechwarrior though. In saying that, I've totally moved on. The game is still installed, and probably up to date. Maybe not quite moved on afterall. Though, at this point I don't care if I never play it again. I guess that chapter is closing. I look forward to/and am enjoying, the next chapter. I do enjoy the march of time.
Posted Aug 10, 18
Votes:
+71
DSA Member
I have looked at the Jarl's list before. Problem is that it is the total number of players over a one month time frame and if you don't play at least 25 drops (I think that is the correct number) you are not counted. What I like about the Steam site is that it is the current number of players actually logged in at a given moment in time and updated every hour. I have found that groups generated by the matchmaker don't start to get enjoyable until that Steam number hits in the 1200-1400 range. Until then it is almost always a stomp and not very enjoyable. This is almost a 100% guarantee when it get down in the 600 range.

I enjoy the genre, but the numbers have been so low lately that I haven't played in weeks. Been spending my time building a Raspberry RetroPie arcade system. Thousands of the old games from Atari, Sega, Nintendo, and 20+ more old gaming consoles (even games that were only available in coin-op arcade machines), and it is all free. If this interests anyone here is a link to an 18 minute video: Beginners Guide to Setting up RetroPie (Be sure to click the "show more" below the video box... about 10-20 lines down.)

BYW: All of the emulators available for RetroPie are available for Windows. In that case the RetroPie hardware would not be needed. Remember... Goggle is your friend. :thumb:

And regarding MWO's slow death... a little humor: A sinking ship
I've determined that both ELO and PSR are myths, weight class matching a fantasy, hit registration a dream, and unbalanced teams a goal. The Matchmaker algorithm is entirely a function of pure spite and malice. And if something actually works they will fix it until they break it.
Posted Aug 10, 18 · Last edited Aug 10, 18
DSA Council
Votes:
+40
Admins
DSA Member
I miss the days of decent MW game play. I'm sure the next big shiny will come along soon and draw us back together but it's rather lonely until then.
Personally I'm playing Wildlands, Space Engineers, PUBG, and some occasional R6:Siege.

If you guys ever want a chat, I'm usually on TS most NZ evenings from 19:00-23:00.
Posted Sep 4, 18
List
Undo
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices