2018 Update and Plans for the Future

8 replies
DSA Council
Votes:
+80
Elite Dangerous Team Leader
DSA Member
Hi Everyone..

YES.. I am actually still alive, no, the thargoids didnt capture me and do all kinds of weird butt experiments on me.. Well, none that I am willing to openly admit to anyway... But I am back.. kinda.. If you have been following my youtube channel you would have noticed that it kinda took off in a big way, and to be honest it has been a lot of work trying to maintain it. More than I thought it would. Then last year things got crazy with work and I have hardly anytime to "play" Elite Dangerous. If I am in game, then usually its because I am working on a video rather than just having fun. So if you see me in solo a lot, you know why..

But I kinda want that to change this year.. If you dont know, fleet carriers are coming to the game soon, exactly what they will do is still uncertain. But the basic premise is that a fleet will be able to store some/all of their ships on a big massive carrier that the fleet owns and will be able to transport that carrier around the galaxy.

So I am starting my own fleet/group called The Vindicated... Ha! get it?? you know.. like me... errhuummm

ANYWHO... I have noticed that there have been some new/old faces showing up in Elite Dangerous, Fatyak, Ranaketh and a few more. And I felt maybe now is a good time to get a bit more organized.

Here is my Discord channel and those who are interested in joining my fleet should head on over so we can start organizing some wing activities and other shenanigans. Thargoid hunting party anyone??

https://discord.gg/0xdAbSAn6XRT1hOd

What I would also like to do is to arrange some short range exploring groups to nearby nebulae and other points of interest such as crashed alien ships, the alien mega bases and more, so if this is something you would like to get in on let me know.

Are there any other group activities you would like to do? SRV Racing? Canyon Ship Racing? SRV Derby in a crater? leave comments below.

I will also start live streaming stuff soon, as it looks like I will be getting Fibre to the Curb here in the next few months, allowing me to stream more effectively, so that could be fun too..
VJ-DSASIG2.jpg
Posted Jan 19, 18 · OP · Last edited Jan 19, 18
List
Undo
MWO Lance Leader
Votes:
+49
MWO Lance Leader
DSA Member
You seem serious. Its a shame that Elite Dangerous isn't my sort of game, but there are new people that express an interest. Nothing you can do will be wrong. I wish you the greatest success.
32604626440_2abd099b73_z.jpg
Posted Jan 19, 18
Chairman General
Votes:
+264
Admins
MWO Commanding Officer
DSA Member
I've been saying this for a while but might give it a go. How do you guys think Elite dangerous is as compared with what Star Citizen hopes to be?
"The distinguishing characteristic of the lizard-brain is primarily the conservation of energy. Instead of pushing its stuff around all over the place, the lizard puts its stuff in one place and stays there. It only picks up and moves when it sees something useful and desirable, or when something distressing and undesirable shows up."

8naALRn.png
Posted Jan 19, 18
DSA Council
Votes:
+80
DSA Member
Both ED and Starcitizen approach the same genre in different directions.

Its hard to compare these two, because one is an actual living and breathing game that is evolving, whereas the other is still pretty much a tech demo, but a pretty amazing one.

What ED has in its favor is a very robust flight model and combat system that "feels" much better than SC. Yes the latest update to SC has made the flight model much better, but its still behind ED's

About a year and half ago, Elite was very different, it was extremely shallow, with very little to do outside of harvesting credits in RES sites or combat zones, Trading, Exploring or mining.

But a lot changed with Horizons, with planetary landings, then engineers (ability to mod your ship in various ways)... Then we had alien crash sites and alien bases to explore and shortly thereafter, the thargoid invasion. We are now currently under attack and human stations are burning on the edge of the human inhabited bubble... We have rescue missions which are very atmospheric to play and the threat of being interdicted by thargoid ships that are very very difficult to destroy..

The biggest problem in elite dangerous, as in most MMO's is the grind.. If you grind too much, you will end up hating the game and burn out quickly. But if you "play" the game, spend a bit of time doing a bunch of different activities then it becomes a lot more fun, especially if your with a few friends in a wing. You really have to use your imagination in ED, there is practically no direction and no story line outside of galnet, the in game news service. But players have got together and have created their own activities such as SRV racing (SRV is your ground rover) Canyon racing (in customized ships designed for speed) in the canyons of moons and planets.. that is a massive rush.. Thargoid hunting in groups, Organized PVP matches in certain systems, rescue missions, helping out damaged or out of fuel ships stuck in systems they cannot jump from.. and a lot more.

So you cant really compare it to SC yet, as SC is still not a fully functioning game. There are many aspects of SC that are far superior such as space legs, planets with large cities and atmospheres and a more detailed customized galaxy to explore compared to ED's more procedurally generated one.. One thing I do know, having a lot of flight experience in ED means flying in SC is very very easy, especially combat.

But a lot of these things are planned for Elite Dangerous, such as space legs and atmospheric planets.. So, who knows.. In the long run, SC might end up being a much better and bigger space sim to play, and I will be playing it. But I wont stop playing ED either..

If you can get it on Special, I think Horizons is worth the price, even if you dont end up playing it forever, it will give you a good introduction to the modern space sim.
VJ-DSASIG2.jpg
Posted Jan 19, 18 · OP
[DSAC] Daz Admintag
DSA Council
Votes:
+190
Admins
SC Chief Executive Officer
DSA Member
SC 2020 is gonna be HUGE!
Maybe by that time you will have done done your dash in ED and then can do some awesome SC videos
wQgUGYX.jpg
Posted Jan 22, 18
DSA Council
Votes:
+80
DSA Member
SC 2020 is gonna be HUGE!
Maybe by that time you will have done done your dash in ED and then can do some awesome SC videos

SC 2020? or you mean 2200??? ;)
One of my supporters has offered to buy me a constellation and start making SC videos.. So it most likely will happen..
VJ-DSASIG2.jpg
Posted Jan 23, 18 · OP
[DSAC] Daz Admintag
DSA Council
Votes:
+190
Admins
SC Chief Executive Officer
DSA Member
Bring on 2200!
If you want to borrow any of my big ships (when they get made), just holla!
wQgUGYX.jpg
Posted Jan 23, 18
Votes:
+16
DSA Member
Council Adviser
Speaking of grinding, they've just managed to make the Engineers about 5x as grindy as before. Would ask what they're thinkin', but I'm pretty sure they all just left the lights on and vacated the premises.
Posted Jan 27, 18
MWO Lance Leader
Votes:
+6
MWO Lance Leader
DSA Member
Well since I've only just joined the game, I'll be able to start the slippery engineering slope when Beyond lands. I'm not going to bother till it's out and settled a bit, but I prefer 'playing' if I get stuff along the way that helps, it doesn't make me feel like I've had to grind anything.

See you in the black CMDR.
Ra.
DSA Masters Class
DSA Slayers with 5 stripes
DSA Unbeatables with 5 stripes
DSA Heavy Hitters Millennium Club
DSA Maniacal LightSpeeders Master Class (Light +700 dmg)
DSA Workhorse Master Class (Medium +900 dmg)
DSA Heavy Master Class (Heavy +1100 dmg)
DSA A Cut Above Gold (400 dmg above)
DSA Match Hog (score over 150)
DSA Elite Eagles (12 assists)
DSA Regulators (6+ kills)
DSA Dark Matters
DSA Errant Star Lemmings
3rd Swift Eagles Rapid Response Division
Posted Feb 1, 18
NoticeNotices