Which Stocking Stuffer Mech should I pick?

7 replies
Votes:
DSA Member
Blackjack BJ-2 + 'Mech Bay
Cataphract CTF-3L + 'Mech Bay
Stalker STK-3FB + 'Mech Bay
Hellbringer HBR-F + 'Mech Bay
Summoner SMN-F + 'Mech Bay
Summoner SMN-M + 'Mech Bay

They are the 6 prizes available (I am close to securing one now!) and im not sure which to get. I have a Stalker STK-3F(C) already so I am inclined to avoid that one. Currently leaning towards the Hellbringer (but not sure if its hardpoints or quirks are any good, just been grinding the games out!). I hear the Summoner's have a learning curve when it comes to getting used to the torso mounted cockpit?

I tend towards reasonably swift mechs for mid range combat with a range of laser and ammunition based weapons, more recently favouring ballistics over missiles. I presume getting a free mech of the most expensive kind with a valuable engine is also a consideration? Any advice would be great.
Posted Jan 5, 18 · OP
MWO Major
Votes:
+169
MWO Major
DSA Member
Council Adviser
Personally a Stalker with ECM and 4 ERLL is going to be mean!

The CTF I wouldn't touch.
The HBR is a good well rounded mech. Fast for a heavy with 2 Ballistic, 4 Energy and 1 missile slot/s.
The BJ-2 is a fast medium brawler with 4 missile slots and 2 energy. I run mine with 4 srm 4s and 2 ML

I would stay away from the SMN M as the F has all the hardpoints of the M plus more. I have never used this mech so cannot speak to its performance.

Considering your preferences I'd agree that the HBR is well suited to you.
501st Devastators Legion

DSA Heavy Hitters Millennium Club

DSA Savage Slayer (Killer Instinct Winner)

DSA MVP, DSA Regulator, DSA Gold Enforcer, DSA Maniacal LightSpeeders Master Class, DSA Medium Workhorse Master Class, DSA Mechanized Regular, DSA Caped Crusaders Anonymous, DSA Elite Eagles, DSA Diabolical Mechanic [Gold], DSA Slayers [II], DSA Black Hole Ghost Squad Apprentice
DSA A Cut Above [Gold], DSA Match Hog [Gold]

DSA Errant Star Lemming, DSA Dark Matters (Special Honours)
Red Dwarf Medal - [Gold], DSA Supernova Medal, The Iron Star Medal

fWdh9SW.jpg

If a job is worth doing, then its worth doing right... and if you want it done right do it yourself!
Posted Jan 5, 18
Chairman General
Votes:
+262
Admins
MWO Leftenant Colonel
DSA Member
I'd got for HBR or SMN given blackjack is cheap for cbills, CTF is slow and you already have a stalker.

Generally speaking the HBR is probably more versatile
"The distinguishing characteristic of the lizard-brain is primarily the conservation of energy. Instead of pushing its stuff around all over the place, the lizard puts its stuff in one place and stays there. It only picks up and moves when it sees something useful and desirable, or when something distressing and undesirable shows up."

8naALRn.png
Posted Jan 5, 18
Votes:
DSA Member
Thanks for the tips. Might go the HBR, as while its cheaper than the SMN I dont have to worry about offset cockpit training :p Either way, get a nice XL engine out of it!
Posted Jan 5, 18 · OP
MWO Sergeant
Votes:
+47
MWO Sergeant
DSA Member
I should get myself a Hell Bringer. Thats a good choice.
32604626440_2abd099b73_z.jpg
Posted Jan 6, 18
MWO Sergeant
Votes:
+57
MWO Sergeant
TW:A Legionary
DSA Member
hbr is my go to cbill grinding mech.. change out the omnipods to do 2HLL 4\5ERML and ECM and watch the enemy start accusing you of hacking :d
Posted Jan 6, 18
MWO Sergeant
Votes:
+47
MWO Sergeant
DSA Member
hbr is my go to cbill grinding mech.. change out the omnipods to do 2HLL 4\5ERML and ECM and watch the enemy start accusing you of hacking :d

I get people accusing me of hacking all the time! I get sick of it. Just because I use tools from "www.mechwarriorhacks.com" to enhance my gameplay!
32604626440_2abd099b73_z.jpg
Posted Jan 6, 18
Votes:
DSA Member
Oh right, its a clan mech, can just buy omnipods to customize it. Suppose ill have to get used to that! Itl be my first clan mech so thats something new for me!
Posted Jan 6, 18 · OP
NoticeNotices